View Single Post
Old June 7th 2010, 11:08

Still plugging away on the bodywork. The area around the relocated gas tank door, the front passenger side quarter panel where the gas tank door was, and the roof has taken up quite a bit of time. Basically where ever I had to cut out some metal and weld it back in. Next time I weld on the body sheet metal, which wont be anytime soon, I'll be sure to take more precautions to keep distortion to a minimum.

These areas needed the most attention to get straight. The rest is cakewalk. It seems like just when I thought it was straight, they needed another skim coat to fill in a low spot. These sections are pretty much shaped / flat, but need to be skimmed over with some glaze putty to fill in pin holes, feathered a little more, then sanded with 100 and 150-180 grit to get ready for its first coat of primer.

This section here had the most distortion and it had a nice whisky dent next to it which required the bondo to be feather even further. PITA.

I still need to sand down the little bit of untouched filler you see. Other than that, it'll finally be nice and flat.

I can say this area has taken the most time. I still need to work on the area above the gas tank and around the door some more. It's almost there.

The rear clip is ready to go. Now I just need to smooth out the transition of the sheet metal around the "radiator shroud".

This area just needs to be sanded with finer and finer paper, glazed and repeated.

I have definitely missed my mark to get it in paint early this month. It's looking more like the middle to late next month it should be in paint. Body work is taking long then expected and I have to build one of these (the copper tubing which collects the moisture follow by an air filter / trap) to make sure I have no moisture in my lines when I go to put down any paint.

More soon.