View Single Post
Old January 23rd 2013, 00:09
Administrator

Time for some collective bench racing...

When I started the 1302 Rally Beetle project, it was inside a notebook about two years before I actually bought metal and started cutting. Some members (Joel, for instance) were in on the idea from day one as I bounced ideas and thoughts around. I'm almost itching to start my next project (not that the rally beetle is "finished"), but have to get an Audi project out of the way first. I have, however, started a "German-Look" notebook...which means another Beetle is in the pipeline. I am torn on whether I should do a 1303, or use a standard front-beam beetle. A 1303 is certainly the more traditional choice for a German Look. I've actually come to love the curved window, the more aerodynamic shape. And while I hate the dash with a passion...that can always be replaced with a Porsche look FG unit. If one were to build a "textbook" GL, I don't think you could argue against the 1303 being the 'proper' choice. The problem, at least as far as I'm concerned, is I already own a 1975 Standard Beetle.

Now, I'm going to remove the question of chassis design from the debate. Ignore, for my purposes, the handling differences between the strut and beam suspensions. If I do a standard beetle, I'll be cutting the front beam out and building a wishbone style suspension. Whether I go Mendola or my own design, the beam is not a factor. For the moment, we're focusing strictly on the visual aesthetics of each option.

A good friend of mine replied to the question by saying "even the best standard beetle done in the GL style doesn't 'look' right. It will never 'be' right, and you'll always think there is something 'missing'."

To assist with the debate, I present two of my favourite GL cars. The first, from VolksWorld June 2008

The Second, from VolksWorld Feb 2012:

So, is 1303 is the only "correct" German Look?
Is a standard cool, but not cool?
MacStrut or go home?

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap