View Single Post
Old August 30th 2019, 23:11

Hi

I took my bug out to do a Supersprint at Eastern Creek before I removed the motor to do the clutch, I took it easy first run out only to find that my tyre gobbled up my mudguard air intake and that the motor started leaking oil from the right cam cover, I stopped running then and took it home as I didn't want drop oil on the track. I had a good look at the track to find the leak with no luck, I've since found that it was a leaky inlet cam actuator.

So I pulled the motor and found a rather scorched clutch plate. I sent the whole clutch and flywheel assembly to a very good place in Queensland about 1000 ks away. My son is into drifting and NPC do a lot of the drift car clutches. They found that the Kenndy pressure plate and flywheel just needed a grind but I have gone to one of their cushion button clutch plates.

So the motor is out now, I'm going to send the car away to have a 1/2 cage fitted that will tie into rear part of the chassis.

I asked for advice from a water cooled VW tuner when I made my air intake in the right mudguard about what sort of enclosed air filter to use. So I bought an Italian made BMC Oval Trumpet air filter, the VW tuner told me he was using these on 400 hp water cooled VWs.

You can see the BMC air filter in the top view of my engine

I sent an email to BMC asking what would be the upper limit of this air filter.

Their reply,
"It is difficult to answer. 307 kW is about 415 hp.

In the past we tested the OTAs on engines having the above power, but due to the huge quantity of air they needed, they were insufficient to power any engine.

The best result we achieved is around 300 hp = 180 rwKw.

Please take note that also other factors must be considered, such as for instance the load loss consequent to the installation.

Just to sum up, it is not only a matter of empirical power.

We eventually recommend the filer with PN ACCDA100-220-01."

My tuner was worried that he couldn't account for the air flow into the inlet at high speed so I'm pretty sure I'm going to use a Blitz Carbon Core but this time I will only have the air from my mudguard intake blowing on the filter inlet not physically connected as I did with the BMC unit .

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NPC disc.jpg (80.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Bltiz Carbon.jpg (24.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg top view.jpg (89.2 KB, 23 views)