View Single Post
Old March 25th 2005, 11:15

EFI cheap and cheaper

The Digifant efi used on mexican beetles is fully electronic including control of ignition timing and can be had for a very good price if you simply buy the two main parts ECU and Distributor and get somneone to give you a schematic so you can wire it up yourself
This digifant is not related in anyway to the horrible digifant 1 and two sold in the states on golfs, vanagons and foxes etc. this is a bosch system licenced by VW of brazil and mexico only. I own three mexican beetles and the only complaint I have is a very small lag in throttle responce from idle because it uses a pressure sensor not an airflow meter otherwise it pulls like a champ all the way to the red and will fit up to a 2 liter engine type 1 to 4 without modification. The other sensors used in the system can be bought in the states as they are golf parts eg temp sensor ignition coil bla bla bla. AS for the guy (miller) doing Bosch jetronic systems this is nothing new at all Ive done this so many times that the thought of paying him for something I dont really need almost puts me off my beer. Get charles probst book on bosch systems (bentley publishers or amazon.com) and youll see how easy it is to walk into a junk yard pick up some parts and make your own I also recomend you buy ben watsons bosch fuel injection also from amazon. MY best result has been in using digifant to control my ignition timing with everything else disconnected (ignition control only) and using bosch K- jetronic to supply the juice and it works like a charm. My jetronic airflow meter is rubber mounted where the 34 pict carb and manifold would be if it had one facing left and one intake tube comes down from along the fan shroud where it splits into left and right to feed 1 and two and 3 and four so it does fit Good luck and remember its supposed to be fun to try these things