Thread: Dry Sump
View Single Post
Old February 17th 2003, 03:21

You guys mention that the windage effect of the crank and piston back side is drawing power. Doesn't the factory 914 ' windage tray' eliminates that effect largely?
Also, neutralizing the windage effect by the windage tray, I thought that the a multi stage dry sump pump costs more power to drive it than it freed, thus resulting in a less power situation with a dry sump system? The mean benefit then left being the secured lubrication with racing applications...
Poor quality dry sump pumps leak and lose pressure losses because of different materials expanding differently (iron/aluminium) and bearing issues of the pump gears. Therefore good dry sump pumps are very expensive ($ 500,-- - $ 700,-- or more).
Also, most all reputable tuners in Germany use a stock 24 mm pump in their own (!) engines and make regular drag starts with it, even in 226 DIN hp (tested) 2733 cc cars that do 0-62 in 4,5 sec.
My guess therefore was that although the system in itsself is very good, we obviously don't need it in a street car application.
But if anybody did any testing and found they gained hp, I would definitely reconsider...
Walter