Thread: Dry Sump
View Single Post
Old February 19th 2003, 11:22

You are absolutely right on having to get the oil up to temperature. In fact I was thinking about a heater on the tank to help it heat up to operating temperature and insulation to maintain it. However I have a tendency to think on the extremes. I was considering running a race hard for say an hour straight. A large quantity of heat spread out over more oil would lower the overall heat of the oil allowing it to be cooled easier. Granted a large cooler with a fan would probably work just as well.
Another advantage of a dry sump system is if you loose oil pressure in the engine and you have a low pressure engine kill switch the sump would have enough oil in it to allow the engine to coast to a stop without loss of oil damage. Assuming of course it is not the oil system cuasing the problem. An oil level switch can be used in similar fashion.
I have been trying to figure out how to get a 1600 engine running 500hp to last a one hour road race. The heat generated at this level of tune is tremendous. Sometimes when you mentally really push the envelope it helps you solve problems at a lower more realistic level.