View Single Post
Old March 12th 2006, 00:20

Long over due update...

Thanks Nigel.

Oh man, I've been out of it for a while. Too long, I took a weekend off, and last weekend I didn't do much to make an update, and I had no pictures.

I figured out my water lines. I've got a bunch of pictures. Tim got me two 10 foot sticks of 1-1/4 ID aluminum conduit. I started with the pan on it's side just to get an idea of what I was going to have to do. It didn't take me very long to realize it needed bends. I didn't have a bender and I couldn't find one to rent. So played on my streights, Welding and my creativity. After a trip to Home Depot. I had a few peices, a steel pipe coupler and 1-90* bent peice of galvanized pipe conduit. (sp?) I only bought 1 at the time incase the idea doesn't work, I don't have to return the second curved peice. I started out laying the 90* pipe where I needed the first turn, then I found a place to cut it. I then added a peice of straight pipe. After I got it towards the torsion housing more, I added the other half of the 90*. It worked out perfect, and the peice of 90* was only $7. I had to go buy another 90* for the other side, but at least I had an idea. It seems like the two pipes will miss the tailing arms. The only problem is welding the galvanized (sp? again). FYI, the fumes are Toxic. If anyone welds it, Weld in a Very WELL ventilated area, don't rush only weld a little at a time.

My next head ach was the front. How to get it to the radiator. After some thinking, scratching my head. I decided that I'd start on the passenger side, then go from there. It wasn't bad really. I still need to work on my aluminum welding. But at least they're tacked now. I didn't want it to go past the frame head. The frame head on my Daily driver hits sometimes, so these lines would die. (stock beam w/ drop spindles on the DD) It had to come up before the beam. I figured out a good spot, cut an angle into the aluminum tubing, and a hole into the frame head. Doesn't look bad. Although I was kinda uncomfortable with the way it looked. I made an Arnald of a protector for it. 1/4" sides and 1/8" top. (My girlfriend has a tall curb at the end of her drive way. That's what gave me the idea. ) The driver's side wasn't as easy, after a lot more thought and a little... I just tried to avoid the master cylinder and get the water above the frame head. I'll figure out the rest after I turn the pan over. Confidence? I made another cover for the driver side. As for the way to hold the two covers over the pipe. I thought about welding, but if I ever had to remove them, it would be a nightmare. So I just made a few tabs, and drilled a few holes so I can bolt them on. The tabs aren't the most beautiful I've ever made but they'll work perfect. And "Form Follows Function". My best guess is that the water lines are maybe about 75% finished. I need to finish my aluminum welds, then finish attaching the lines to the pan. But the really difficult stuff is out of the way.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 001 (Small).jpg (41.8 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Instal 002.1 (Small).jpg (43.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 004 (Small).jpg (45.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 005 (Small).jpg (47.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 006 (Small).jpg (48.4 KB, 143 views)
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; March 12th 2006 at 00:35.