View Single Post
Old May 13th 2020, 11:11

Suspension considerations

Hi all,

My last topic was about Imohr suspension parts. For the future I am looking for some rear suspension modifications/updates.

And as far I have searched, found, drooled and lost my way in what is possible, I want some opinions/tipps and tricks from you.

I have a 1303 from february 1973. The engine and gearbox are standard, but will be changed to an AT (1303S) gearbox with an type 1 engine with around 1800cc, w110 cam, 2 twin 36 IDF webers and so on. So not very heavy or mega strong.

The front suspension are Kerscher coilovers and the rest of the suspension bushings come from Topline, incl casterfix, camber+ bolts and all steering rods new.

The back is old, the bushings are shot and the springplate covers are rusted out.

So time for something new.

What options do I have seen.

1. Rebuild the standard

2. Rebuild the standard but with uprated springplate covers http://www.german-performance-parts....id=611&lang=EN

3. Rebuild with the springplates from option 2, but with height adjustable springplates

4. Rebuild with the springplates from option 2, but the springplates with no preload on the torsion bars (or without torsion bars). And coilovers (Kerscher, Imohr, others?) in stead of the normal shock absorbers.

5. Go wild and do an Uniball conversion (Imohr, MBT, Kerscher, other)

6. Other options?

The bug will be a nice weather car for the months without a 'R' in the name and just for touring, not racing.

Option 3, 4, and 5 came in mind, because of the possibillity for height adjustment without messing around with the torsion bars and the splines etc.

What will be the best option? Then I know what I have to discuss with my wife