View Single Post
Old December 16th 2009, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Wally is absolutely right! The subaru engine is a good engine no doubt.However,why are they so cheap? Usually they have around 200.000Km on them with unknown history.Then,people slap on a turbo and if they are lucky it will last a couple of years.But itīs still a 200TKM engine that can break any second as any other engine can.Rebuilding a subaru isnīt cheap either and will run you about the same price as a type 4 if not more.Jap parts are usually expensive.You can take a stock type 4 refresh/rebuild it and turbocharge it with fairly low budget.So letīs say around 5-6K Euros for everything engine related.for that,even though the engine is basically stock,maybe some light port work and of course stiffer springs you can have fun and be reliable and can make around 250HP that will last,just keep the boost down to a max of 15psi=1 bar.Good tuning and mapping is crucial - thatīs why Wally makes the power and reliability he has.If you are looking for the power that Wally has,thereīs more to it and itīs the bazillion little things that makes it expensive.Wally also has some exclusive parts like the Oettinger cylinders that have become very rare.
I could only partially agree with You because STI reconditioned engine costs 2500 euros.

Add exhaust and pipes, wires, etc, etc., and You're on 3500.

If I could make reliable 200 HP Type4 for 3500 euros, I'll go for it!

I have good 2.0 T4 engine sitting in the garage and waiting...