View Single Post
Old March 11th 2014, 04:25
Administrator

This has been a pretty big week/weekend. Last week I finished up everything on the to-do list, which was essentially a bunch of little annoying items that are time consuming. The only thing left, besides the motor and related bits, is to paint the floorpan again, on the underside. We had a week of straight rain, so I put it off for some warmer weather. Cheaper to heat the garage then!

You might notice the "Porsche" name on one of those bags, which simply means these items are priced about 3x more than they should be. Regardless, after almost three years of a rough throwout bearing, I figured I'd best replace it. Also bought new plastic mounts, a nylon cup for the clutch arm and the retainer clamp. Pretty interesting to see what those parts are supposed to look like!

Got the shroud finished up with fake Salzburg outlets. I had more time on this one, so instead of rushing it I worked on at least making the straight and not warped by heat. No shims required for the generator mounting, which is lightyears better than the last one! I did, however, forget to fill a couple of holes I won't be using. Ah well...

I'll be running a new Vintage Speed exhaust system, having beat the last one into submission. Just before I went to pick it up at AVR, though, I remembered it wouldn't clear the oil-pump. A few facebook notes to Lucas (Art's son) and he TIG'd in the required modification. I think I messaged Lucas on Thursday, and Rob brought me the exhaust system completed on Saturday! Couldn't believe my luck, because Darren messaged me that he was going to break in my cam/motor on Sunday morning. So Sunday I was at Kroc's shop to hang out, basically be in the way and watch Darren break in my new motor and do a quick setup on my new carbs. After it was all cleared, and cooled down, we loaded it up in my truck and home I went. It's about now that I should probably post some engine specs, but the honest truth is I haven't been paying much attention! Throughout the whole planning and parts acquiring period of the build Darren would call me up and ask something like "So, what cam did you want to run in this engine?" I'd answer with something like, 'well, I haven't thought that much about it...what would you suggest?' Darren would give me his idea, and I'd follow up with "sounds perfect, lets run with that then." The whole idea is kinda funny, seeing as I've so carefully planned everything else out on the car. I'll update the specs on my 2110 at a later date!

I actually couldn't have cut this better myself! I went slightly wider with my dimensions this time, and slightly deeper. Now I should be able to remove the oil lines with the muffler on (should I ever need to), and the deeper inset should help with the heat soak.

The muffler then got some exhaust wrap, and the steel shield which keeps the wrap from tearing off due to rocks.

Being a glutton for punishment, I wrapped the J-tubes as well. And then whipped up some stone shields for those too. The wrap doesn't go all the way to the ends in the photos, as I like to be able to access the exhaust nuts without tearing up the wrap. On the muffler end I actually wrap the rest of the pipe and the flanges once the system is all bolted up.

CB Black Box is mounted and wired in. Tomorrow I'll pickup the vacuum line fittings I've ordered, and will run the line through the firewall next to the Black Box. I've run out of space to run wires through the factory routing, so a couple of new grommets were added to the car tonight.

I'll have to finish the engine-side of things once the engine is in the car, which will make doing the wrap or heat-shrink a little bit challenging!

Ready to go in, hopefully I'll find time to take care of that tomorrow.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap