View Single Post
Old January 25th 2010, 03:48
Administrator

The garage has been taken over with spraybooth version 2.0, so that we could prime my housemates '66 mini (fresh from chemical dipping). That doesn't leave any room in the garage for the bug, so I've been puttering around on some minor projects.

The 914 tach suits my 'classic'/'GL'/'rally' style perfectly. Provides the RPM information front and center, while still using a classic piece instead of a modern gauge. I would honestly run with just the 914 tach, but I need a speedo and fuel gauge for rallying. That's why I ended up tossing the stock speedo next to the tach, even though I've never liked the look. Using the 914 Speedo would mean I'd have issues with fuel gauge and warning lights, thus I'd have to try and fit the 914 multi-gauge...and the problems just continue.

Since I can't work on any of the 'big items', and I'm left with just my workbench...I started looking at the 914 multi gauge for ideas, and soon my work bench look like a watch repair shop.

My original plan was to see if I couldn't marry the beetle speedo unit with the 914 fuel gauge, but it was going to take a lot more effort then I was willing to put in. I did get a good rough start at it, but decided I didn't want a multi-day epic for a single gauge. My attention then turned to modifying a Beetle speedo to be more Porsche-like. The '72 speedo I had matches the 914 text and colors better then my '69, so I started there.

...a little paint.

...a little drill bit.

...some spray paint (not shown)...

And now ready to mount. I think this should make me a little happier.

I haven't popped it in yet, as I'm thinking about changing the mounting system I have. Ran out of time on this project...the mini was done faster then expected, so I took over the spray booth for some Mustang pieces.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap

Last edited by owdlvr; January 25th 2010 at 03:53.