View Single Post
Old October 13th 2014, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookvw View Post
i measured off stock shock brackets. mine are actually a tad bit higher. i know it looks low but their really not. hoping to start getting things all back together over the next week. new trans, new fuel lines that im switching over from hard line, to all braided lines and a/n fittings.

i looked all over for coilover solutions for squeezing a 2.5 dia spring into the tight space that vw gave us to work with. i even contacted RLR for their sweet all tubular arms, but my pocket book didnt like the $1400 price tag. so i spent a few sleepless nights out in the garage cutting up templates after templates, then it dawned on me that going with a tubular lower mount will work. and so far it looks to have done just that. ill report back with some road time on them.

BTW humble, i would love to work out to meet up sometime next year at either a vw show or heck even a auto-x event since we are both into that sort of thing. id love to get as bunch of US germanlook guys together, but i know thats a shot in the dark. lol
Hi mate, I've looked and looked in case there are gussets hidden in the pics, but Unless that's a positional mock up, it won't hold up, I can't be gentle with it, because it may kill you or worse, other road users, two weaknesses are shown there, the minimum you will need to do is to gusset the unsupported arch you have shown there to stop it flexing with the shock loads, then some buttresses to resist it twisting, now looking at the lower mounting bracket, it's weak both in attachment area and material gauge, it needs to mimic the stock design by extending up onto the a arm to spread the considerable loads, perhaps incorporate the lower mount into buttresses, minimum gauge steel for that would 3mm if designed well, 5 or 6mm is often quoted by many for saloon car coil over pickups. The best design is the stock one, you only have to look how thin the gauge is because the load paths are favourable and shear forces are spread so well, can you not replicate that to accommodate the bigger coil over? As you have it shown, the lower mount will tear off. Good luck with it all tho.