View Single Post
Old June 12th 2003, 18:44

Shad, thanks for your response to my questions. Also, thanks for not bashing me for referring to “neoprene” bushings instead of “polyurethane”, hope I didn’t loose all creditability. I’m pretty sure I now understand what you're saying and don’t really disagree. But even though I think they're going to be a real pain to adjust, still don’t understand why the heim joint will not work as well as the spring plate in maintaining toe as long as they are adjusted properly. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to understand how the various IRS components work in relationship to each other. I’ve assembled my IRS setup and made sure that everything worked smoothly (i.e., there is no binding). One of things that I noticed was that there is very little movement in the inner bushings, even without the outer bushings installed. But maybe enough to make the fine adjustment required to obtain the correct toe. At any rate, that situation has nothing to do with the fact that I’m not using the spring plate. I don’t think the toe will change any more with the up and down movement of the arm than it would with the spring plate, but I guess I'll find out. I have not been able to detect any toe change at this point. It appears that the spring plate must twist as well as bend inward (two seperate motions) in order to abe able to follow the arc of the IRS arm which is pivoting about a different axis. The heim joint setup is able to accommodate that same arc because of it allows movment about the pivot point.

I don’t disagree at all with your statements about the merits of the torsion bar versus that of a coil-over. One of the reasons that I have opted to go with coil-over was to get additional wheel clearance. Also, I thought the adjustability and availability of different spring rates would be a plus. And, less importantly, I just don’t like torsion bars, no good reason just don’t like them.

Thanks again for your comments, but unfortunately I’m past the point of no return and can’t go back to torsion bars. Maybe I’ll go to A frames if this doesn’t work out.