Thread: rack and pinion
View Single Post
Old March 29th 2004, 18:14

Talking

While converting my 1979 1303 convertible to a 944 Turbo suspension and brake setup I discovered that the rack and pinion steering box that was on my car couldn’t be adjusted like the older steering box on the 1302/1303 pre 1974’s. While searching the internet and asking at several forums there was only one person(Mattkab) who gave me an answer to limit the steering so I went for my own investigation and found out a way that involves no welding or what so ever. You don’t even have to dismantle the steering box from the car. For my application the only thing I needed was a metal spacer and a adjustable tie rod.
Overview.

This is my solution
Step 1.
Dismantle the bracket on the passenger side of the rack and pinion. It’s bolted to the body with 2 bolts and 1 bolt that runs diagonal threw the steering rack.
Step 2.
Next go to the rack and pinion. When you look at the housing you see an lock ring that is in a recess in the body. Remove this ring.
Step 3.
The next thing to do when the ring is removed is to remove the metal plug. Just pry it out whit 2 suitable screwdrivers. When you look in the housing of the rack and pinion you will see a rubber
Damper. Know get some metal spaces that fit nicely in the metal housing. For my application I needed 2,5 cm in thickness.
To find out what thickness you need is very simple. Turn the steering wheel al to the left side. The internal part of the rack and pinion rests now against the left side of the rack. Adjust the tie rod so that the wheel/rims will not rub at all.
Turn the steering wheel to the position that the left tire is parallel to the body. Adjust the tie rod on the passenger side to the point that the tire on the passenger side is parallel to the tire on the driver side.
Turn your steering wheel all to the right. Do this carefully because you removed earlier the stop on the right side. Now determine at what point the wheel starts to rub. When you have found this point turn the wheel just al little back so there is a safe distance between the tire and the body. Now got to the steering rack. Put your finger in the rack and push the rubber damper al the way in till it rests against the inner part of the rack. Put in the spacer and putt in the plug you removed earlier. Turn the steering wheel and look if the tire rub. Whit adding/removing of spacers you can limit the steering. For me it works perfect. The only disadvantage is that the turning circle is wide but he when you want to drive 205/40/17 on the front this is for me no problem.
Greetings....... :agree: