View Single Post
Old February 18th 2011, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Its funny you didn't mention 'weight' as an advantage, as it was the first one that came into my mind and the only reason I would want a alu hat...

Any suppliers that use the porsche bolt pattern for their 10 bolts hat-disk?
The issue of weight saving is not clear cut as I have seen some beefy alloy bells with steel bobbins that look almost as heavy as a thin cast disc. There will be a weight saving but I doubt whether it would be significant. On the other hand there are some that have been lightened to within an inch of their life................to the point where you have to wonder whether the heat build up would case distortion?

The beauty of using bells is that in reality they are custom made to suit individual applicatrions although there are obviously standard arrangements. The one BIG variable is the number of fixings on the discs. Just look through the AP Racing catalogue to see the number of available discs in fixed, semi-floating and full floating styles each with their own number of mounting points and then there is Brembo, Wilwood et al all of whom have a different number of mounting points for essentially the same disc. Then you factor in the varying offset depths and wheel bolt or bell fixing patterns etc, so standard bells only exist is a few very popular applications.

Clive