View Single Post
Old February 18th 2017, 03:16
Administrator

Thanks! I have to be honest, even after four years it still brings a massive smile to my face every time I see it.

------

Well, this evening has been less than successful.

Turns out the new adapter plate I machined is so thin I need to go from M6x20 bolts down to an M6x12 or M6x10. Hit all the fastener places in town, and as expected no one had any in stock. Ordered some, but they could be a full week before they arrive. Sigh.

Onto the engine build! Pulled my new main bearings out of the box, modified them for better oil flow from the case, and THEN realized that I had the wrong ones. Doh. Got sent 1st cut crank, standard case. When what I really needed was Standard Crank, 1st cut case. Oh well, can't blame my buddy...I read the box and thought "that looks odd" but didn't double check them. Same error, both ends of the transaction.

So the engine build is currently on hold until the new bearings arrive. The guys are going to see if they can't get them on a Sunday delivery for me. No worries, we'll move onto the fuel tank and pull that so I can thread on a new outlet and get ready to setup the AN fuel lines. Except, nope.

When I built the car I remember there being quite the challenge to setup the fuel lines to my dual fuel pumps and a gas heater pump, but I had forgotten why it was such a challenge. Seems to me, I was thinking last night, that I could have just threaded in a CB outlet Tee and done it very easy. It wasn't until I pulled the tank that I realized why I hadn't done it the easy way. On a 71-73 super you won't find the M18x1.0 outlet fitting that every standard beetle has. Instead, the fuel outlet is a small nipple welded into the tank, and then there is an M20x1.0 drain plug (which appears to be included for the sole purpose of swapping out the in-tank fuel filter). Hmmm.

I can get an M20 to AN adapter, and there is a hole in which to pass it through. Locally M20 to -10AN won't be a problem. M20 to 8AN probably won't be available, but the guys at my old haunt Vibrant Performance list one in the catalog...so maybe I can get one sent out to me. I *think* I can make it work, but tightening the AN hose onto the bottom of the tank isn't going to be fun.

Well, I guess sorting the fuel system will have to wait a little longer.

At this rate I may have to go back to building furniture for the house tomorrow...

-Dave

*edit* I remember a few years ago there being some surge tank discussion on here, and did a quick search to see what I could find. Might spend sometime thinking about going with a surge-tank setup instead of an adapter for the tank drain...

Joel's setup in 2010:

Manic's setup:
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap

Last edited by owdlvr; February 18th 2017 at 03:23.