View Single Post
Old June 25th 2008, 03:47

Hi Walter,

itīs nice that you are not annoyed about another "OHC-producer". But you are right and I share the same opinion, that itīs good that some people do development and engineering on things that are totally different from the things that all do.

You may be right what concerns the price of such an engine, but on the other hand you will get something very special and - thatīs the main reason - the engine will stand power and high revving. The reason for the new case is that we go with 5 crank bearings and that will give the engine a complete new character what concerns durability.
I donīt want to engineer anything based on a platform that (in my opinion) is not the correct one for a modern flat four engine. Type 1 and type 4 are wonderful engines, but 3 bearings are that what limits them for high revvs and high power. I know of too many engines that have to be reconditioned after only one season. I think thatīs mainly caused by the case and the crankshaft. If you obey total costs on a longer period than such a type 4 can become very, very expensive and in the end the option with the new case might be the cheaper one.

Itīs only the phase of development that slows down the project, but it will not have any effect on availability later. Each of my products once started as a single part and was later switched to a serial product.

Howīs your project coming forward?

Martin