View Single Post
Old April 29th 2010, 06:22

Hi Alex,
A couple of comments:
The 944 top mount is a tight fit in the 1303 seat.
The extra stud on the front/outer is preciously close to the fold on the inner wing. To bolt mine up that include a 5mm strut bar plate I have to jact the strut up so that there is clearance for the nyloc nut, wind the nut on and then finish jacking the strut up. There is not enough clearance between the stud top and the inner wing to get the nut on when the mount is fully engaged.
The camber plates that ground control show look like thick (8mm?) alloy plates that IMO would fail on two accounts:
1) Their thickness + and/or the strut brace plate would be too deep to allow that front outer bolt through that will allowthe nut to be placed.
2) The whole thing relys on M8 bolts clamping that top plate in situ by friction. I can see that it could move in use particularly on rough roads. It looks like a unit for racing only as it will need constant supervision and adjustment.
3) It is generally accepted that the 1303 super requires a strut brace to stiffen the front to give adequate/better control. By putting in an adjustable top plate based on sliding the top of the strut in two directions you will have to slot or enlarge the strut brace fixing holes or dispense with it altogether (an adjustable strut brace is only adjustable in one direction). By allowing more movement for the strut brace you will have negated a primary reason for having it in the first place - to solidly secure the two top mounts of the strut.
On balance since you are probably unlikely to want to adjust the front suspension frequently and since adjusting the toe in can only be accomplished under the front it seems to me that having all the adjustability under the car would be more desireable especially since it leaves the stiffness of the body uncompromised

Clive