Thread: Why 944?
View Single Post
Old August 25th 2006, 18:53

This is an interesting topic.

No real reason for Porsche 944 brakes, you could use anything from a bigger car.

The 944 conversion is widely done successfully and has supporting parts (ie the Kerscher ball joint). So there is the ease of the conversion verses something off another manufacturer. The front to rear bias is not perfect but works well enough.

I agree with Rich and others that OEM stuff is generally better made than aftermarket parts. I also like being able to visit my local shop for parts rather than order them across the net and wait for many many weeks while the bits make there way to New Zealand. (all except that damn ball joint- which is probably going to be changed on my setup, so I can get it locally).

One of the guys in our local VW club has the CB rear disks. His car stops extremely well. If the kit is well made and works then go for it. The rear disks are a huge bonus.

The wow factor is always a nice bonus- but you get that running big disk brakes from any manufacturer.

As for the wieght- yep the early NA 944 stuff is heavy, so the rest of your components need to compensate for that, ie spring rates and shock rates etc. No real black magic, I used golf inserts and upgraded my springs and the car handles beautifully now- much much better than it did stock.