View Single Post
Old October 26th 2023, 13:00

I think Dave keeping his threads alive has inspired me-

Earlier this summer I wrapped up the interior of the car. I purchased my own bulk square weave carpet and made my own carpet kit. I used vinyl as my binding and broke out my 1950 singer sewing machine.

I was also able to work in my buddies upholstery shop down the street and got my first go at some real upholstery work sewing a cover for my back seat that matches my door panels.

I made a speaker tray for the rear to cover my heater and associated engine wiring/ecu. I also inset 2 cool vintage ads speakers but currently don't have any pictures.

I was pretty annoyed with my walbro fuel pump situation. It was located below the tank on the shelf in-front of the passenger footwell. It had issues during the summer when it was hot and the fuel level was low, causing the pump to get too hot as its cooled using the fuel it flows. It was also annoying and loud. The best style pump is really an in-tank setup for fuel injection cars as the pump sits in the fuel and this helps it maintain temperature and keeps it quiet. I also think I was having aeration issues as the fuel was returning into the tank at a less then ideal location. Ive learned since that the return line should dump fuel under the fuel level, this helps keep aeration to a minimum.

I decided to build my own in-tank setup as I didn't like the aesthetic of the aftermarket options. I already had a baffle in the tank so I used this same location but made my own holder utilizing a factory subaru denso pump. I struggled to find a wiring passthrough that would keep the fuel sealed into the tank, and ultimately purchased a fuel lab hermetic unit that has worked great but was a bit expensive.

I did a few aesthetic upgrades as well since I have been content with my cooling package. I remade my radiator surround, it is painted body color now. I also painted a few 3d printed items including my front radiator intakes as previously they were raw plastic.

Other than that I have really been enjoying driving the car. I have taken it to a few events, and recently took it up a local mountain pass that is a great twisty road. The Subaru engine really makes the car a joy to drive and pulling up the road in 4th gear on a steep slope feels so foreign after driving the car with 50hp for so long.

I am still hoping to add a subaru transaxle to the mix as I would love to drop the cruising rpm's. I have a donor transaxle ready to go but am waiting for the right financial opportunity to purchase a r&p setup from subarugears.

Hope everyone has great workshop plans for the winter.

Forrest,