View Single Post
Old January 25th 2010, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I ordered my coil-overs today, if using with steel arms make sure you get the smaller diameter springs (1.9") or they may foul on the trailing arm. I bought pro-techs and have in the past, much better than previous AVO and GAZ from my personal experience in quality and value for money (they are all ally bodied and retail at £80+VAT each but easy to get money off). They also build them to your exact spec for the standard price, today I was offered options on length, bushing type and size (rubber/spherical) as well as rod diameter 10/16mm

http://www.protechshocks.co.uk

I'll receive them on tuesday
Great link Rich, I will lock it away in the brain cell for future reference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
Thanks guys for your feedback. It's really appreciated.

Regarding rear axle reinforcement, I've got the Eyeball engineering torque bar.
http://eyeball-engineering.net/TorqueBar.html

Intrax answered to my questions. They can build specific coilovers based on 944 ones on my desires. Nevertheless the price is too HUGE for me (2350€). A bilstein cup set is about $2000.

UK Pro-Tech coilovers can also be a good alternative regarding the price of an equivalent set. Especially if it possible to select coil overs with off-set lower eye mounts.
The Eyeball Eng. torque bar is not suitable IMO for a full coil over conversion. The unit should be no less than a 5-bar Kafer Cup brace set that fully triagulates the the top fixing position for the coilover unit. The EE torque bar won't prevent the top fixing from moving upwards or sideways. The EE torque bar may resist the frame horns from moving downwards under torque but the bar is under a point load bending moment that also has a bolted joint at its maximum bending moment position. It all goes against the very basic principles of structural engineering although you can make anything strong enough if you add enough weight.

Offset eye mounts on dampers should be avoided at all costs since they will impart a side load to the internal seals that will fail all too quickly.

Clive