View Single Post
Old April 19th 2006, 23:11

Talking I have a Subaru in my Ghia!

Thanks Nick.

I got my engine in the Ghia!!! (last friday) It's in! I didn't want to post about it till I had good pictures. I took some the day I put it in, but they were Terible. To those that have been following along, you'll notice the better looking pictures are the pictures I took at night.

After making a hole big enough for the engine and clearancing for the turbo. I tried putting it in. I tried pulling it up into the compartment with a cherry picker. What a Beast! After fighting and pulling. I finally just got out the battery operated sawzal and cut my rear apron off. Not before I put a few good scratches on the two side timing belt covers and having the engine land on my foot, I love my steel toe boots. After the rear apron was off it just slid into position.

I took a few more parts off. Intake, water manifold, and I started making a bracket for the altenator. I have decided to turn the intake around. I thought about doing something like Martin's (bug@5speed) bug. He took and made a resessed box in the fire wall. Unless you look closely, you can't even tell. But I can't because of the location of the turbo.

Now I'm going to start working out the iginition system, the air filter/intercooler, water lines, exhaust... I'm also going to surround the engine some how so there isn't a big gap all the way around it. It seems for every 1 thing I accomplish there are 5 more things I need to do. I knew when I decided to go Subaru. There would be a lot of work, and I knew it would be more than I aticipated. It's not just the Subaru conversion. For example, I put my engine in, and now I need to give some more attention to the rear suspension. The rear wheels stuck out past the wheel arcs. That wasn't a problem till I added weight to the back, now they rub. It will be running and driving before paint. So I need to put money into the brakes... It doesn't end. I just need to stay focused and keep in the mind set of just tackleing this car one thing at a time.

Ah, felt good to vent a little.

Comments are always welcome, but please don't correct my spelling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 012 (Small).jpg (72.7 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 013 (Small).jpg (73.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 014 (Small).jpg (71.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Subaru Engine 015 (Small).jpg (45.2 KB, 157 views)
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; April 19th 2006 at 23:15.