View Single Post
Old October 23rd 2009, 16:19

I was too tired last night to post it but here's my driving impressions so far with the new springs. The ride is much softer (not riding on bump stops now), and cornering is a lot less skittish. It always felt on edge pulling .9 G's or so but now there's a little more body roll and it feels more stable, the skittish feeling is gone. The springs are close but still feel soft to me, and though they are a good match for the stock rear torsion bars they need to be harder for a lowered car. I tried taking my roommate into town and the tires were just buried in the fenders with lots of rubbing, not to mention the poor kamei spoiler scraping quite frequently.

I changed my mind and I think I'll swap in the 300# springs for a lark. I'm pretty sure they're too stiff but I'd like it to sit low and take a passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
You could try these GAZ GAI inserts.
I totally forgot about GAZ, they're not usually seen here in the states. I'll have to see if they have a US distributor. The other option I've been considering is Koni adjustables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
FWIW, the notes I have on the MaXX strut says it has a 71.5 pound rate.

Oh, and I love Spider Bait.
Yeah, I figured the springs were close to stock, which is okay for stock height but not a lowered car. If you love the car now keep an eye out. I've been pondering making the street bug a rolling test bed for the race car. I've got plans forming now for rear coil overs, cup brace, and adjustable struts. I've also been tempted to drop in the "backup" race engine for R&D, purely scientific reasons