Thread: Darn close!
View Single Post
Old July 2nd 2004, 12:21

Life is almost good!!!

I took her out today to go to the allignment shop (Butler Tire in Marietta, best rack and operator in the area IMHO). Very sketchy on the way to the shop as the front and rear were out, but after some tweaking she runs straight now. The technician (Gene) was at first not happy to do it as he thought it would be a rust ball with all kinds of stuck bolts... Then he looked underneath and was pleased to see all new parts He went from aprehensive to happy to see a custom change that was well excecuted. Not bragging at all, but he told me that it was really nice and that I almost had it alligned alright to begin with in the rear. No control arm changes needed or spring plate changes needed! The front was way off due to putting in new tie rods, but easy to adjust.

The tricky part is adjusting the Solex 40P11 carbs as they are way off and running lean, very lean. So enough typing - time to get wrenching!

It feels great to be behind the wheel again! Also the 944 brakes all around are insane!!! Wow can this bus stop, barely touch the pedal.

Overall I am pleased with the conversion so far. The gearing may be too high though as I can run 55MPH in 3rd at 3500RPM... At that rate I will never see 4th!

Thanks for the support!
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe