View Single Post
Old May 3rd 2011, 23:24

I seem to update this pretty infrequently. I did end up finishing that front suspension rebuild and everything works great. It rides like a brand new car, and I couldn't believe what a huge difference fresh shocks make all around for so cheap. I put some KYB GR-2s in the back as a cheap starting point and so far they've been working well. Better than my previous shocks, which had lost absolutely all bound on both sides, and only the right one had the slightest inclination of rebound which surely wouldn't have done anything on the car.

After that I did some boring stuff like replacing the soft fuel lines (which fell off after a gentle tug ) and a shift rod bushing. I've been driving the car around breaking it in again. Currently getting terrible fuel mileage (15), but it runs strong and the plugs are tan which makes me think my carburetor is all gummed up or something from sitting. Anywho, I did a few things that were picture worthy:

I was really sick of having an armrest that only served to press into my thigh, so I made me a mount, cut the handle off a dog leash, and slit a small hole in a stock door panel. Instant RS door handles!

I'm not really sure if that's terribly tacky or what, but it works great and doesn't get in my way.

I also put my old Raid steering wheel on, which I haven't used since I had my old '72 about six years ago. It hasn't aged terribly well, but it's still functionally a nice wheel. The adapter it came with rubbed horribly on this steering column, so I needed something else. The car came with a Grant wheel which fit great but looked and felt awful, so I bought a Grant to Nardi/Momo adapter from foreversharp and a 50mm spacer from race911turbo on eBay, which works like a charm. Consequently, I can mount any Nardi or Momo wheel in my car no problem, and if I ever want to change the distance between me and the wheel I can just buy a different length spacer. It doesn't look too shabby (unlike my car) either:

I scored a sweet wolfsburg horn button off eBay as well, but it's for Momo wheels and my Raid wheel's hole is slightly too large.

Well, that's what I've been up to. Mainly testing the car, I'll pretty it up for summer and take better pictures of it when I get some fresh rubber on the wheels.