View Single Post
Old November 20th 2009, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
I want to try some Kuhmo Ecsta V70 motorsport (road legal) radials on the bug.

Clive
Me too!
Quote:
(Humble)
Kumho Ecsta MX/XS
more grip than the S.drive and they get stickier when they heat up. pretty long life on the bug so far 10k+ and maybe 50% to go. Good in the wet too but in the cold >40F they just slide. good track/street tire
Totally agree. I run this tire on the front now. Its a '(ultra) high performance' rated tire, better than most, but its no semi-slick.

What you guys in the us call an 'R-compund' or semi-slick is what works best, period. There are tade-offs in noise and lifespan, but as Humble also says (and I agree again): the bug is usually more gentle on them than most other heavier cars.

So for real grip, you want an R-rates tire or semi-slick as I call them.
You can also look at the ' threadwear' rating on the side of the tire. Its a UTCG rating with 3 different ratings. The other two are for temperature and ...?
Try to shoot for 60-120 for the threadwaer rating. Normal tires have 250-280 or so and even the before mentioned ' ultra high performance' tires have usually no less than 200. Its says how ' soft' the compound is but its relative to that manufactorer. Still, it gives a good reference I think.

I have just bought a slightly used set of Toyo R888's (threadwear 100) for on the rear when the current Bridgestone (or was it Dunlop?) 'SP super sport race' are worn.
Hopefully I can find the Kumho V70's or another set of 888's cheap as well for the front for next season.

Last edited by Wally; November 20th 2009 at 12:10.