View Single Post
Old June 11th 2009, 07:55

The front pads in the standard 944 single pot caliper do touch the discs at all times. Its probably because the non-return spring that is on one side only exerting a sideways force on the sliding piston body giving a twisting action that means one part of the pads is in constant contact. This eventually manifests itself in the tapered wear on the pads (equal but opposite on the two pads). Its not a great design IMO but I suppose it was cheap! There is nothing to worry about but I have purposely left the pads out for the time being so as to be able to push the car around with ease and no drag. I doubt whether there is any noticeable effect on performance. One point that concerns me though is that the pads mould themselves to the disc thickness. As the discs wear down the pad shape changes. That's OK until you come to change just the pads or the disc - the shapes are then unmatched and you will be braking on the edge of the pads until they have corrected themselves. The solution is to change pads and discs always at the same time.

Clive