View Single Post
Old March 28th 2011, 15:50

Stepping into the world of Type4 engines.

Hey guys,

This past weekend i went to a VW buggy swap meet in the US with a few local guys. During the drive down we (Lanner(flat), and Bryan(clkwrk)), talked alot about T4's and the engines of Wally and Sandeep.

At the swap meet, there was a corvair, a 914, and a couple bus "complete" motors. Bryan yanked a few valve covers off and pointed out a few differences to me.

Walked by a spot and a box marked T4 carillo rods caught my eye. Took a quick look around, and continued on. Met up with the boys later and they mentioned that spot. So we returned, looked into things a little deeper, and i made the impulse buy.

I've never really paid close attention to the T4 world as i was up to my neck in T1 engines/parts with no plans for another build. So now i'm playing catchup. Reading all about the T4's here and on STF.

Engine is in pieces, so we dropped it off at an engine builder in the US to get the longblock together.

The engine parts belonged to the sellers son. It did run before and was taken apart for service. Son lost interest, and went along the Chevy path. Seller works part time at a VW shop(i think it was Headflo?), and had a similar T4 in his buggy.

Hopefully Bryan and Lanner can chime in here to provide some more insight to what i purchased.

Boxes included:
75mm Okrasa crank
103mm pistons/cylinders(Arias???)
carillo rods
machined case
big valve heads
a couple cams
and a bunch of other odds and ends to get this together.

This will be EFI, as i have the Electromotive TEC2 on the shelf from my blown up 2332. So now i'm looking at cooling options, and exhausts. Bryan has offered to build a hybird 36hp shroud, DTM, or go the horizontal 911 fan route. For exhaust, A-1/VintageSpeed/BAS/CSP?

Thinking this will mate up well with the Porsche 5spd 923 trans i've been hoarding for the last 5yrs. This drivetrain will end up in either the Bus or Super.

Wish me luck!

later,
Pete