View Single Post
Old August 29th 2002, 03:57

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning bug

If you use only 4 gears in the Porsche 5-speed, you'll be running at higher revs anyway only being in 4th.
That's what I was wondering; is the 4th gear of the Porsche transmission higher than 4th gear of a VW transmission?
I would be worried because say you had a stock VW 1600 engine and a Porsche 901/915 transmission, geared for a much more powerful engine: You're in 5th gear and the engine is doing 1500 RPM. You gun the throttle and the engine is trying really hard to pick up some speed. Because of the low revs the fan isn't moving much air, and putting that much strain on the engine is going to generate a lot of heat, which the fan just isn't going to remove because of its low speed. I hope you follow...

As for using a Porsche fan on a stock VW engine, I reckon the volume of air moved by the fan is going to rob the stock motor of too much power, when a stock fan wouldn't.
I suppose you could use a power pulley...

The engine planned for later is still pie in the sky. Every day I change my mind from Subaru to Wasserboxer to Type4!

Last edited by trevorbrady; August 29th 2002 at 04:03.