View Single Post
Old July 1st 2009, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
What are the markings on the MC then? I thought those were the bore sizes
They usually are but what are they, I can't read them off the photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Hi, I have a 1302 that I am going to use the early 944 1985 single piston setup on. However I choose to use the front calipers on the rear also. So I will have all four wheels stopping with front calipers. Can you suggest a MC for me. I also have a 1971 Porsche book where the front calipers and rear are very close in sizing. I believe I need more than 19mm mc.
The standard 19/19 dual circuit m/c is more than man for the job. However, I have heard that they give long pedal movement with single pot 944 fronts that could be down to the anti-slide spring that gives a twisting action of the piston body. This in turn means that if you have new pad on old discs or new discs with old pads there is a little extra bedding in to do to get the best pad shape i.e. a pair of matching shallow wedges. New pads on new discs should wear together so there ought to be no problem. It sounds as though you have about the right front rear balance assuming the discs are about the same size also. Don't think that because the m/c comes from a Porsche that it is intrinsically better than the VW one. With m/cs it is all about selecting the right size. Bigger m/cs usually mean poorer braking performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug@5speed(US) View Post
Humble,

You brought up valide point about tires.. street vs race slicks.. which has to be factored into the equation.

What about pads.. I know on my street/track car I use to mix front and rear pads at times depending on the track and tire choices I had.. What is everyone using as their respective characteristics will have an impact on lock up also?

Alex
Pad selection with full disc conversions with porsche calipers and discs will provide very high levels of performance in such a light car (around 2/3 the weight of a high performance Porsche) so the main problem will be to generate heat to get optimum friction. also, the cooling ability of the discs will quickly dissipate the heat that has been generated so it is better to select a quick i.e. low temperature pad. Any of the good quality pad suppliers such as Pagid will be suitable. I will be trying EBC Greenstuff on the front of mine.

Clive