View Single Post
Old September 24th 2005, 13:13

I sent a couple of dismantler's a picture of the rear end with bubbles with arrows for them to fill in the dimensions of the setup so I can get an idea and measure out my chassis.

My original plans were to measure everything out to see if the front mounts are wider than the torsion housing. Hopefully not because I dont want to modify the 993 assembly. I've seen guys put this same setup in their early race 930's which have a similar rear setup to our dubs (torsion bars, trailing arms), I just can't find the article anymore. But anyways, from looking at the pictures what i'm thinking is i'll get the correct wheelbase (fore/aft), then try to brace the torsion housing, make some brackets to have it fit where ever it needs to go on the torsion housing. For the rear mounts i'll hang it from my cage. I'm tieing in the motor mounts to the cage as well. The struts are the only thing i'm worried about as far as alignment. The upper strut mount will have to be mounted to the cage.

From looking at the funcup racers, they're using supers with 1 piece front ends, meaning they built front strut towers. If they are doing that with supers I might think about putting 993 front suspension on as well. The only thing about that is finding a 1 piece wide enough. Oh well another day another VW dream.

If I can manage to get the cage to tie in to the motor mounts, rear suspension, chassis bracing and front strut mounts, I'll have one stiff chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 993 rear end measurements.JPG (76.6 KB, 343 views)

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle