View Single Post
Old March 31st 2010, 14:14
Administrator

My gosh the cleaning/measuring part of engine building is boring, eh?

Well, some of it is at least.

Started with the heads on the weekend. I don't have intake/exhaust yet, so no port matching. But I did clean up the exhaust ports a little to get rid of the sharp edge as you exit the valve.

Before shot above, after shot below. Not easy to see I guess...but you can feel the difference!

Next up was CC'ing the heads but I'm going to have to go back and recheck them, make sure I'm absolutely dead-nuts accurate on each one. My first go measured a range from 50-55cc's, which is unacceptable. I'll need to rule out measuring method, and then decide how to even it out.

Piston Rings measured and installed...

Rod bolts measured, rods assembled, rod bearing clearance checked and axial play measured...

Timing gear fun! My housemate was rather confused about the camp stove on the work bench until I explained it to him.

Test fitting

And measuring the deck height...with which I have a problem. I've got -0.007", and my cylinders aren't even torqued down. Shims will be in here in a couple of days, so I tore it back down for balancing.

I'll have the parts back from balancing today, they did two-day turnaround for me due to Easter weekend...but I think I'm paying out the nose for it. Garage needs to be cleaned again before I do the real build, and I might try and relax for a few days first. Perhaps I'll hit up some of the other items on the before I go back to to the motor.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap