View Single Post
Old January 13th 2007, 14:14

Audi wheels on late Super?

Greetings! After tinkering about with my 1974 Super for a year or so I have now taken it off the road, into my garage, and i'm ready to give it a full makeover.

It will be a mild GL build, nothing too exciting due to my modest experience and budget. I plan to go with Topline discs or similar, front and rear. After much deliberation I have decided I must have Audi TT rims, and I'm prepared to do what it takes to make them work.

Mine is the later Super with the wide front track. By my calculations I will need at least a 0.65" (1.6cms) wider fender up front to accomodate the Audi wheels (17"x7.5" et45mm).... is this going to work? Anyone have any experiences or insight to share before I dive in head first into this?

I have seen Audi rims on standard Beetles but never on a Super. Firstly from a mechanical / engineering POV is this safe and do-able while maintaining good handling? Second will it look right?... or too wide up front? Can I use flared fenders or do I need wider regular style ones?

Any comments will be appreciated. THX.