Thread: 930 in 1303
View Single Post
Old September 7th 2007, 08:46

Im about to do this conversion as well. I've scored a 930 box that is the short version so no bell housing mods required.

My conversion is going to use 1988 944 turbo arms, axels, drive shafts, hubs, cv's and rear brakes. The drive flanges on the box need to be machine to allow the 944 turbo CV's to bolt on, but thats no big deal. Im changing to coil-over strut rear suspension as well as the torsion housing will be cut out to move the tranny forward and down.

As for the shifter, i've seen porsche conversions that use the stock shifter and frankly... not impressed. Im going full custom from the start. I recommend getting a copy of the "Its Fun 3 Porsche" build DVD. That video is the primary inspiration for my re-build.

My engine is a 2443cc twin turbo'd intercooled efi engine, which should make around 500-550 crank hp. I'd like to see 430rwhp on a chassis dyno.

Here is the best resourse i've found for this conversion.
http://www.veewrx.com/VWRX-engine-ge...ne-gearbox.htm

This guy has done most of the work the hard way, and isnt afraid to talk about his costly learning curve either. Something that mose of us have gone through at some stage or another.

These gearboxes handle 550hp in stock form with ease, and up to 750 when used in track situations provide adequite cooling for the transmission oil is added. They are basically the same box used in the 935 race cars.

I've also found reference to them being used in a lot of v8 power kit cars, where they typically have monster torque figures being driven through them.

I'll be installing mine stock first, but will likely end up changing the drive ratios's down the track after I find out how my new engine drives and delivers torque.

Keep this thread alive. I'll be posting up my progress for my conversion once parts start coming in.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by 2443TT; September 7th 2007 at 08:49.