View Single Post
Old June 25th 2004, 02:32

I'm powdercoating all my 70 bug window trim (wing, door, and popout). Here's how I'm doing it:
1. Drill out the upper rivets for the wing window hinges -- replace w/ new for assembly. Loosen lower clamp and pull wing from frame.
2. Remove wing glass by prying frame loose. See wolfsburgwest for new sealing rubber.
3. Drill out wing lock rivets -- replace with new for assembly.
4. Remove wing lock black handle by drilling out flared pivot pin. Drill and tap for 4-40 to replace pivot pin with cap screw. Powdercoat the wing lock seperate from the frame.
5. Remove wing frame plastic pivot -- it'll cook in cure oven... Remove felt channel.
6. Remove window trim from door. Remove rubber wipers from trim by prying loose the clips.
7. Remove popout windows and pry frame from glass. Mine were tough to remove - bent a little while removing, but bent back to minimize flexing after powdercoating. Powdercoating is ductile and can handle some bending for reinstallation. Replace rubber seal.
8. Drill out pivot pins of popout latch and remove handle. Replace pivots with custom turned parts and flare with punch after powdercoating (machining required).
9. Drill out pivot pin for inside door latch lever. Replace pin with screw/nut for assembly. Powdercoat metal lever to match black plastic trim.
10. Sand out scratches.
11. Coat with Cardinal 20% gloss black TGIC polyester powdercoat to match sheen of rubber.
12. Tint windows and reassemble. Press/tap frames onto glass with rubber seals while protecting with towel/wooden block.

It cost $200 to powdercoat all the trim/latches and a RLR roll bar/traction bar (Class A Powdercoat, Sacramento, 916-681-7474 -- great service). Pictures to follow.