View Single Post
Old May 4th 2020, 20:45
Administrator

Oil accumulator is plumbed in...it's important to colour coordinate your visible fittings?

I managed to install the battery and test the electrical system. The initial check found a number of systems or items not working, which was to be anticipated since I repaired what was there and made a lot of new additions without having the ability to test any of it. But it was a good start, there were no sparks and no flames! A few hours in the shop working down the list, and I managed to get everything working properly. The only two circuits I haven't tested are the brake lights and seat heaters. I'd say everything else working is a big win! The wipers gave me a tonne of trouble, as it seems I have a later model wiper assembly in a car that doesn't match the '68, '69 or '70 wiring diagram. But it's all right Joel has enough posts on the interwebs that I was able to figure it out!

Because the oil pressure warning light has been replaced by a tiny dim LED that is partially blocked by my steering wheel, I've added the "you cannot miss this warning" light. The wideband O2 sensor wiring came in, and now the interior and all carpet has been installed for what I believe is the final time.

With that, I moved on to solving various problems I hadn't quite figured out yet. One of which was the question of whether I should carry a spare tire or not. In the last 15 years I've had two flats. One was on an Audi, running very questionable tires without date codes, and the other was with a beetle on a gravel road. I haven't experienced a flat on any of our classic car events, and the move to Porsche bolt pattern creates spare-tire problems. The problem, though, is I run these events so if I get a flat, I can't exactly wait around for a tow truck. The organizer has to make it to dinner! I have this Porsche spare, from model unknown, and did measure to see if it would fit. It was darned close, but not close enough. An hour of heat and body hammer, and it now slides into the slot. It's tight. Tight enough to scratch the paint on the car and rim if you're not careful...but it fits!

It had some rust, and covid-19 budget constraints means I'm going to be running the twists longer than I had hoped, so I figured this wheel would be a good one to experiment with paint colours. I want the twists to be darker, but not super dark. So, enter "graphite". Here's what it looks like in gloss with two coats.

And with two light coats of matte clear, so I can get a semi-gloss look. Looks perfect in person, still too glossy in the photo.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap