Thread: Vw 1300 72'
View Single Post
Old September 8th 2013, 15:56

TF-1 case arrived with hoses, it looks so nice compared to autolinea cases. I checked the hoselenght to car and it seems there is enough for front oilcooler mount and drysump installation. BMW main bearings and bronze thrustbearing came with case. I did trial assembly with crank, cylinders and heads.

The camshaft, connecting rods and oil pump are still missing. I did order from demontweeks a 360x190 (5.7 liters) drysump tank with Mocal thermostat.

End play is pretty tight, about 0.05mm, i will have to sand a bit bronze bearings on the glass. Due to a TF-1 case through bolts and 4 "bore cylinders i had to take a little bit material from cylinders, and possibly to get smaller diameter washers under througbolts.

There was also problem with TF-1 and LN engineering / ARP headstuds, because TF-1 case has no provision for 3rd cylinder deepstud, and ARP kit has one deep stud like stock or normal performance studs.

I am also thinkin to make cad designed rear mount, because case has bus style rear mount.

Also ARP studs for type 1 nickies arent available any more. Todd Francis does not recommend the make the thread deeper - but no problem, fortunately Raceware has suitable equal lenght headstud set that is approved by LN Engineering and they also use them now.

Last edited by -Alex-; September 8th 2013 at 16:19.