View Single Post
Old October 22nd 2013, 15:45
Administrator

Wahoo!

So, apologies for disappearing for a couple of months. I popped the motor drag racing on our Big VW show weekend, work has been insane and my new '68 Single Cab allowed me to just take a bit of a break. But I'm back, and super super stoked that Retro Cars chose the car for the cover :-) Retro Cars has been my favourite magazine for the last 4 or 5 years, and throughout the whole build in the back of my head I was working on building a car that "could be worthy" of a feature one day. Anytime I was frustrated, or thinking of cutting corners, I'd ask myself if it would be 'RC worthy' still, or whether I needed to put in the effort to make it perfect. Halfway through the build I was reading an issue, and realized the photographer was someone from Vancouver BC who I had met a few times through our Classic Car Adventures business. A few emails, some photos, and I had confirmation that Retro Cars was interested in the build. It was all looking good, the photos were taken, and then...nothing.

Both the photographer and I couldn't get a reply or answer, were they going to run the car? The VW magazines, which shot the car 5 months later, all printed articles first. I figured it was probably dead in the water...but hey, I got some nice coverage in the VW scene. About 6 months ago I heard Retro Cars had been sold to a new publisher, and suddenly it all made sense. I tweeted the new publisher, got the new editors contact details and sent him some photos. I've known it was going to finally be in Retro Cars since August, the writer and I had some great back and forth emails and cross-the-pond phone call. "It's going to be printed before the end of the year," was the last thing I heard. And then...nothing.

Turns out they were keeping the cover a surprise, and I gotta say, I am over the moon. Building the car, the only exposure I wanted was this particular magazine. The VW mags were awesome, but this one is the pat on the back I was secretly hoping for.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap