View Single Post
Old July 14th 2007, 14:41

i agree, there is alot of BS**t written on forums that is why when i give an opinion or infomation that i am not 100% sure about i explain where it came from it is then up to the person recieving the info what they do with it anyway the above came fromhttp://www.924.org/techsection/9brak...%20description when investigating the stepped m/c i have come to realize that there are many factors involved in brake system design it is mind bending , one thing is for sure standard 944 biasing is not the ideal for a beetle as it was calculated for a front engined car(more weight over the front wheels) , on the road under normal conditions this is not an issue but on the track or under heavy use braking distances will be larger than for a car with a well setup bias because the rear brakes will not be working as hard as they could .In theory a bigger set of brakes with bad biasing will increase braking distance over a well biased smaller set of brakes . i think the thing that brought home the importance of the many considerations when designing a system is the fact that on a perfectly balanced braking system(front locks just before back) fitting softer compound tyres on the front alters the biasing because the tyre will then give more grip meaning the rears could lock up first hence the need for a biasing valve to correct this.
anyway enough ramblings
here is a list of some of the considerations when designing an optimal braking system
front to rear weight distribution
spring rate on suspension (effects weight transfer under braking )
ratio of tyre size front to back
weather the car is lowered
downown force of fitted spoilers etc
tyre compound
disk size
area of the pads and compound of the pads used
ratio of calipers and piston size etc
there are others but i cannot remember them
After studying a picture of m/c i now realize that Wally was right ,the Fand R m/c pistons can and must work independantly of each other , after you realize this then it is simple to see how the mechanical advantage formulea will hold true . If you apply 100kg of force to the front piston this will apply 100kg of force to the front caliper and then 100 kg to the rear piston , because the volume of liquid beetween the m/c pistons remains constant the front pistons resting position is dependent on the rear pistons position when it is at 100kg pressure. The system will balance out when both front and back pistons are at 100 kg at this point the mech advantage ratios hold true , sorry it has taken me this long to understand it (must be slow)
Hope this helps
jon
zx7rr

Last edited by speedy; July 17th 2007 at 21:56. Reason: realized i had dropped one