View Single Post
Old July 23rd 2007, 14:59

Hello
I m about to fill my brake system with brake fluid and start testing how the braking system is performing.
Whats important for me is two questions.
1. I dont want the M/C to bottom.
2. The rear brakes should never lock before the front ones.

The first ones is quite simple to calculate, if you know how much the pistons retard in the calipers, the amount of oil to puch them back should decide wath to use. And then I use some safty factor. I have 944 T calipers front and rear and I decided to use the original beetle M/C to start with.

The second question is more difficult. Every car on this forum is unique in some way. Ride hight, tire size, spring stiffnes, weight...... So my conclusion is what is right for one car is not right for every car. There could only be guidlines where to start testing.
If you continue the calculationes and find out how much possible braking torque that is produceed at brakedisc. If I have made the calculations right the 944 have a bit more braking torque at the font/rear (55/45%), 911 have around (60/40%) front/rear. That is what the manufacturers decide for thier modells, it could be some kind of guidline to follow?
Then its up to myself to set up the car so the maximum of force could be used for stopping my car. Inceasing or decreasing front and rear bias. Speedy and Super VW have mention some ways to do that in this tread. super vw for example put some weight in the front and then he increased the rear bias.

Anders