View Single Post
Old July 24th 2007, 22:44

I already have a Optina Dry cell battery up from (right hand side of car in the corner by the fuel tank and above the spare tire well).
I really should have added a heavy battery (60 lbs or so) to facilitate weight shift better. but then i would have had to give up cargo space.

This week i al going to raise the rear end of the car up about 1/2- 3/4 of an inch to give me some more weight transfer to the front. at the moment i have a perfectly level car with NO rake to speak of, adding a rake will help with the front a bit. I alreay have the front end up on the adjust- a struts max setting (about 1/2 inch fender gap in the front). and i have no fender gap in the rear.
I raised the front to tame down the bump steering issue i had when it was "dumped", much better.... but still the steering tierods are not PERFECTLY level at a settled rest (best for no bump steer).

Although this kind of fine tuning is not going to make the brakes pefect, but it helps to get the car bananced so the brakes can work as well as they can.

The only time i have bias issues is if im not doing controled HARD braking at SPEED (60+) such as autocross events and sudden emergency stops at lower speeds.... and thats related to weight transfer and not having optinum bias). although if i transfer the weight smoothly and with more time i can really bite hard and stop no probelms with very litle tendency to lock up (although it will lock the front still, and thats fine)

So really i should be looking for ways to make the rear brakes work better, thats with hydro, friction changes like pads or mechanical changes such as tires..ect

Ramble....

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing