View Single Post
Old March 9th 2013, 16:48

I don't even know where to start with this. First off, I don't condone this behavior, but I am a tame racing driver, so I'm not perfect.

I took Lucy out for a spin this morning, to meet a friend for breakfast at a well known restaurant in the mountains. I like going there because all manner of machinery, car or bike, shows up or drives by. After a nice breakfast I headed back home along a lazy winding road that follows the ridge line. Now I will admit I was driving quickly and having some fun but as I settled down I noticed a sleek black car gaining on me. I fed Lucy a little more go juice, and the black car followed. A little more from me, a little more from him and so on until we are at unreasonable/imprudent speeds. Race track speeds. We continued for a couple miles then I slowed down for him to pass, and I followed him for a bit. Now I could see clearly what had been chasing me, and I smiled wide at the back of a McLaren MP4-12C. Now it was my turn to chase, and he was quick. The driver knew the road and the car, but not as well as I knew mine. Again we continued into unreasonable/imprudent speeds but he couldn't shake me. I noticed that even on crap tires, I could corner harder than he could, and we accelerated at the same rate until aerodynamics started holding me back. He would start to inch away but I could out brake and out turn him. This continued for another 5 miles until we came to a little turn out area, he pulled in and I followed him.

When we popped out of the cars, I told him he could tell all his friends what just happened and no one would believe him. We chatted for a bit and I grabbed some pics of his car and he got a bunch of the bug. He said he was driving the McLaren fairly hard and if I had to guess we were both at around 8/10ths. Below 90mph the two of us were pretty evenly matched.

Then, after about 5 minutes his friends started showing up, more, and more, and more! I felt like a kid in a toy store.

A bunch of folks were asking about the bug, and the McLaren driver did tell everyone that he couldn't shake the bug but no one believed him. As it turns out the whole group was out for a cruise and the McLaren driver was trying to "catch up" with them. Some how he ended up in front of them and that's when he found me. We all chatted and stretched a bit before heading down to Boulder Creek, another stop in their cruise and some much needed gas for me. I split off from the group there and headed back home, but not before trading emails with the McLaren driver.

I know the bug is fast, scary fast, but now I can put that into a bit of perspective. Lucy is as quick as a McLaren MP4-12C The biggest downside to this story? I left my gopro at home *facepalm*

PS: Don't do any of this, ever! Holy sh*t we went fast, like one-mistake-and-you'll-ball-it-up fast.