Thread: Narrowed IRS
View Single Post
Old October 27th 2007, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cabby View Post
Skeeter top work, that looks far neater than in the tech artical. I found your thread at work but don't get pictures
I've already got a set of axles, although which one is the 380 mm the short one? It's dark and cold outside.

The one on the left is a beetle axle and the two on the right are from the 944. If it's the short one that would be at least 2" shorter than standard.
What do you reckon you have narrowed on each side? a post from Ricola suggested about 18mm (from a thread I can't find) but you mention 28mm which I'm assuming is total track.

I need to have a look tomorrow about how much I will need to narrow it by.

Thanks for the offer of the jig, I can only do chicken **** welding and although I know someone who could do a quality job, would you be interested in a paying job?

65 Cab,My arms were narrowed 29mm each side ,you need to loose 24mm for the extra 944 rear brake conversion and the other 5mm is to get a 6x15 Fuch comfortably under a stock arch with a wide tyre.With the method i used its about as narrow as you can go.
A standered beetle axle is about 415mm.That makes the 380mm 944 one 6mm to narrow .However it does not seem to be a problem there is plenty of movment in the shaft and the fact my car is lowered at the rear is probably helping.
Another solution is to use the left side of a type 3 auto which if i remember is about 389mm(about right).I just liked the idea of 944 shafts and it was pure chance it was an auto 944 which my parts came from ,otherwise i may not have known.The 15" drive shaft on the right of your picture is the one.15" or there abouts is the 380 mm one i used.Incidently i still actually need one as i ended up having to shorten one of mine temporarily.I did get another set of auto shafts but they changed the auto in 82 which had longer shafts,so they had to go back.
Not sure why you are not getting the pictures .I could post them here if you still cant see them.Good luck with your car.

Sorry as much as i would like to, i can't do private work .

Last edited by Sunroof53; October 27th 2007 at 05:49.