View Single Post
Old November 30th 2002, 08:33

Porsche 915 trans installation

Hey guys,
Does anybody have experience with the installation of a 915 trans in a IRS pan?
I have a 915/12 transmission (4-speed) which I would like to install one day (to be followed by a 5-speed, when money allows). I've read the tech article on the 901 installation, but think that this box is 'sligthly' different.
For one, the length. I've placed the 915 next to a irs beetle trans and the length from the driving flanges to the nose cone is much, much longer. The length from the flanges towards the bell housing seems equal to the bug trans.

Since the length towards the nose cone of the trans is so much longer, it requires cutting up the torsion housing to make way for the tanny. Therefore you must use a coil-over shock towers as your rear suspension. Although a lot of (cutting and welding) work, it seems relatively straigtforward.

My big foreseen problem will probably the CV joints: Beetle is 9 cm diameter, bus (T2) has 10 cm diameter, both with VW splines to fit the beetle/bus axles, but the 915 has 11 cm driving flanges and the Porsche CV joints uses porsche (not VW) splines, at least so it was mentioned in the tech article on the 901 installation.
Has anybody tackled this already (preferably with parts that are not only available in the States...) ?

And: would I need a 911 pedal set-up assembly or can the bug pedals be modified like with the 901 set-up (tech article)?
What are the differences with the 4-speed shift/linkeage as opposed to the 5-speed shifter/linkage parts?

Hope to hear from you all with any or partly information.

Walter

(burn rubber, not oil)