View Single Post
Old December 1st 2002, 23:58

Michel Ghia had a good article on his site. I am installing a 901/911 five speed and I believe it is just about the same as the 915. I can't say for sure as I haven't seen a 915 trans. The trans fits up tight against the torsion tube, but the rear mounts which are the important ones are in the right place. The front mount had to be make up. The trans shift from the bottom instead of the top like the bug so a hole has to be made in the bottom of the pan. A thing Model 181 shift rod was bent with the S at the very end to clear everything. A Scat dragfast shifter with modified gates, shifts all the gears so I think it will work OK as the car hasn't been driven yet. I drilled and tapped the bus CV pattern on the big Porsche CV drive flange. The result is quite satisfactory. The Bug CVs are too small. The clutch linkage wasn't too bad either. I just redirected the bowen tube from the top of the trans to the bottom with a custom tube mount kinda looks like a mirrow image of the bugs. And now for the bad news. The clutch arm you use depends on the engine and trans you use. I am not happy with that part of the modification. I may just go with a slave cylinder. Over all I didn't think it was all that hard to do. Expensive!!!! Hope this helps.