View Single Post
Old February 11th 2012, 19:33
Administrator

Alex,

If the QA1's were used as dampers only, there would be no issues with them at all. You could even use the stock lower mounting point (though I would need to check to see how much theoretical travel you'd lose). The stock lower mounting cup interferes with the lower spring perch and spring, lots of cutting is required. Without a spring, and thus the lower perch, you'd be laughing.

The only reason I actually went with the coil-overs vs. using them as a damper only was my need to change height between daily driving/tarmac and gravel/snow events. For the majority of people on this forum, they're going to lower their cars to a set amount...and forget it. A few might use the coil-over feature for adjusting spring rates to various tracks, or corner weight their vehicles, but the majority will ask "what spring rate should I use", set the height and never touch them again. Which, quite frankly, is fine! A set of slightly bigger TB's, and the adjustable dampers are likely perfect.

The QA1's are still imperial, so drilling out the upper shock mounting hole to clear a 1/2" bolt is required. You can see in my photos above that the QA1 must also be spaced away from the upper shock mount, this will be required whether you run springs or not. My spacers (which have replaced the washers above) are 0.5" thick, 1.0" O.D. and presumably 0.5" I.D. (whatever was needed to go over the 1.2" bolt). Without springs you could go with slightly thinner spacers, but I wouldn't have the measurement.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap