View Single Post
Old April 13th 2017, 17:55

The most common coil over kit size in the States is 2.5 inches. Many sleeve kits available and many spring options. You can often find springs on the Summit Racing web site for as little as $39 each. Years ago I built struts for my 1303 using MK1 GTI strut housings with a Ground Control coil over kit.

More recently, for my son's 1303, I bought a pair of VW Caddy coil overs from Ebay. They're TUV approved and very well made. I simply swapped out the springs and inserts for an instant 2.5 drop on his car (unfortunately, the max height is limited by the full extension of the inserts, so you can never be higher that 2.5 inches shorter than stock height (or lower)...if that makes sense. In other words, you cannot go back to stock height. As an additional bonus, the top hole of the struts is slotted for camber adjustment.

Though the suspension could be lowered more based upon the range of adjustment of the struts, it's not practical and things will begin hitting. We did the small spring struts mainly to gain wheels clearance. Neither will ever be lowered more than 2.5 inches.

Unfortunately, I don't know any tricks for the early suspension.

H2OSB