View Single Post
Old December 21st 2010, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugbug71 View Post
I figured out a shortcut! with zip ties!

carefully lift the car up by the lower control arm enough to take the wheel off, then lift it until you can get a jack stand under the solid part of the car. Then put zip ties around the springs and tighten them up. Use the big beefy zip ties and put 3 - 4 on the spring.
Lower the jack and you should be able to adjust the clips. once the clip is in position, jack the contol arm back up so the springs rest on the silver supports then cut or loosen the zip ties. Dont cut the ties before lifting the lower control arm so the spring is resting on its supports, otherwise it will shoot out and kill you or something!!
I'd rather keep my fingers intact! Zip ties are no way strong enough to ensure a safe adjustment.
Those Maxx struts are a poor engineering solution for an adjustable ride height. Everything relies on clamping a piece of wire between the strut body and the bottom spring pan - seating that wire is absolutely crucial. Also, machining a groove out of the strut body weakens it. Either the strut is too thin at each of the grooves or the basic strut body is much too thick.
It should however be possible to weld on a threaded sleeve that will both strengthen the strut and make it much easier to adjust for very little money.