View Single Post
Old January 14th 2003, 15:31

Re: 100 mm Nikasil Carrera II p+c

Hello-

For an experiment, I was contemplating to adapt a used set of the pistons and cylinders of a 3,6 ltr 911 (carrera II), which I believe are 100 mm diameter

Get ready for an expensive experiment... I'll bet that by the time you are done $1800 for a set of Nickies cylinders will look cheap.

It's been done before. I've talked to several people who've called us and said how much they'd wished our stuff existed back when they did it!

Here's a list of problems you are going to have:
- wrong pin diameter in pistons
- wrong dome shape
- wrong compression height in pistons
- stud pattern is wrong. You'll have to deal with the stud enclosures on the cylinders, too.
- head register is wrong
- case register is wrong
- cylinder is too short. This is going to be your number one biggest problem! People take eight cylinders, strip the nikasil, weld them together, machine them, then replate.
- fin pattern is wrong. When installed, there will be gaps between cylinder banks and the tin won't fit.
- stock 911 cylinders are _cast_. Warning: do NOT ping! If you ever accidently detonate much with your turbo setup, kiss the cast aluminum cylinders goodbye - they'll crack.

I wish you the best of luck in the adventure, but I'd wager that $1800 for billet Nickies will be a bargain by the time you are done.

Sorry for the bad news...

Take care,