View Single Post
Old October 3rd 2005, 16:44

4 or 5 speed?

The 901 /914 gearbox is no tranny for the quarter, cause the 1st gear is too short and the shift pattern is normally not that what you expect (or expected in the past, as I can shift my 914 quicker as a 915, due to my new shifter).

Think that you guys didnīt read my info about my conversion parts. Itīs already a long time ago that lots of modifications were necessary to be made to put a 914 or 901 into a Bug. Had these problems about 12-15 years ago and then started to build these conversion parts that allow a easy installation into Beetles (have a look at ULTRAVW, issue March 2005 for example, or VW Speed 11/2005, or VWTech, issue 18, or visit my site).

What are we talking about when you talk of torque and too much torque for a gearbox. I do agree, that if you work with nearly 300 Nm or more than 300 Nm and drive on the strip then it doesnīt make sense to drive a 901 or 914 tranny. But which type 4 (without turbo) that you want to build or buy (for money that one can affort) has more than 270/280 Nm?

But if it is really so, that you have more torque, then I can also healp you with the same conversion for the 915 tranny.
But be sure. We mainly use them for very strong type 4 with at least 2.7 litres (better 2.9 litres) and Turbo-engines (for example Subaru with 280 PS and 340 Nm).
If you donīt like the shift pattern I do accept, but all the other arguments can not really be accepted by me.

Itīs a pitty that I can not let you test my car, or a customerīs car. Then I think most of you would change their minds.

Donīt want to make trouble. Hope that my English does not give the impression that I want to.

Cheers Martin